Announcing the newly established World Leisure Center of Excellence at Vancouver Island University
|In 2010, Vancouver
Island University embarked on a new partnership with the World Leisure
Organization to establish an International Center of Excellence in
Sustainability and Innovation in Leisure Management.
This is a landing page for the Center and we are working to create a new interactive website to begin promoting the center and linking international scholars in late spring 2012.
“The World Leisure Center of Excellence in Sustainable Leisure Management brings together established and emerging scholars from around the globe to share innovative ideas, engage in dialogue and collaborate in research and teaching”.
The core themes of the Center include:
1. Sustainability: Questioning the relationship between leisure and sustainability, determining the level of sustainability of the leisure industry and inviting and monitoring new models and approaches to enhance sustainability.
2. Innovation: Rethinking the systems and structures that have evolved across the globe, creating a culture of innovation where new ideas emerge and flourish, and measuring the impact of innovation on sustainability efforts.
The work of the Center includes:
1. Creation of a network of scholars from academic, government , non government and community to form a community of practice that engages in dialogue on sustainability and innovation in leisure;
2. Collaborative scholarship on sustainability and innovation in leisure including research projects, learn abroad opportunities, and interactive media;
3. Delivery of a Masters degree in Sustainable Leisure Management at Vancouver Island University where emerging scholars learn about the core thematic areas of the Center while engaging in dialogue with partners within the network.